The inspiration and motivation behind this blog is this: my children have a plethora of food allergies and sensitivities. We discovered this when they were 1 and 3, thanks to a wonderful M.D., who specialized in holistic medicine. We have traveled this challenging course on a winding road for 4 years now. With the diagnosis, and resulting proactive lifestyle to deal with it, we have experienced criticism, skeptism, accusation, persecution, ostracizing, sabatoging and some people just find it amusing to make our family the BUTT of party jokes, RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. But, with all of that, we have persevered. Which is why when I asked my wonderful husband how to describe what is like to overcome the world's way of eating, he said, "continuous challenge". So there you have it. After months, maybe a year of more of ignoring my brother in law and my wonderful husband's advice to creat a blog--HERE IT GOES, my first entry.
DISCLAIMER--My desire is that anyone reading this understands that I am not perfect nor will I EVER be. I am continuously challenged to be the best Mom to my 2 children and wife to my husband, that I can be. Second, my strength comes from God. When I forget to consult HIM, my life gets out of control and I get really overwhelmed. Third, if I can ease the frustration, confusion, and isolation for one Mom, Dad, child or family from sharing our experiences, I have succeeded! May God bless you in all that you attempt to do on the path of being the best YOU, Mom, Dad, Parent, Grand Parent, Caregiver you can be for your allergic or food sensitive family members.
Today we went to the Gardens to celebrate our Country's freedom, listen to the symphony, fellowship with our dear and like-minded friends, and see an amazing fireworks show. What a wonderful time! As will all of our days, what we will eat is at the forefront of our minds. When going to such an outing, most families rely on what they can find at the venue, or what they can pick up from a drive thru on the way. Well not our family! With a cane sugar allergy, dairy allergy, white flour issues, and a predominately vegan lifestyle, where is there to drive thru? So in between church and the concert, we head to the grocery store. With some really great pre-made options, such as kale salad and potato salad, as well as lots of organic, seasonal fruits in the stores right now, we are headed back to the house to pack the cooler.
Side note--You will find that most venues are cooler friendly these days. If they are not, they will allow you bring your own food if a) you pay a fee or b) you explain your families food allergy issues to "security" and c) allow them to look inside your cooler. We have ONLY had one venue in the past 3 years give us grief about a cooler, and we have never been back. From that point forward, we check the attraction's website in advance for either FAQ's or pictures of previous years.
So what do you do when you get the venue where you are surrounded by families who are happily consuming EVERY chemical laden, sugar coated, fried or OVER salted concoction known to man cleverly marketed from a booth, bought from a drive thru, or grabbed out of a bag, box or package? OH how I remember those first days, weeks, and months or living opposite the masses...
1) NEVER apologize
2) NEVER compromise
3) NEVER show up unprepared
Trust me, if you are like me, you will do all 3 of these, and do them often in the first season of your adventure. But as time goes by and your dedication and creativity will grow. Just don't give up! Your family is worth it and you are worth it! So until my next urge to share, I bid you adieu.
Happy, Healthy and Safe Fourth of July to all.